Kansas Pharmacy Tech Schools & Certification
Are you investigating your choices for a career as a pharmacy technician in Kansas? Pharmacy technicians assist pharmacists with various duties and are an integral part of the healthcare system. While Federal laws apply to many areas of pharmacy regulation, each state is allowed to set additional regulations on top of mandated Federal laws. In this guide, we set out the criteria for becoming a pharmacy technician in Kansas, highlighting the necessary steps you need to take for licensing and certification.
Kansas state welcomes applications from qualified people to work as pharmacy technicians. The following criteria apply in this state, according to the Kansas Board of Pharmacy:
- Only those 18 years and over may apply for a pharmacy technician registration. However, you may practice if you are under 18 on the condition that the pharmacist at your place of work fills out the details
- Supply proof of academic qualifications, GPA, and transcripts
- You are required to complete the certification process before you are allowed to commence employment
- Once granted, you must - within 30 days - pass a statutory state exam. Pass mark is 75%
- You have completed an accredited study program and passed the PTCB or the ExCPT
- The Kansas Board of Pharmacy will need to conduct a criminal background check to ensure you have no convictions or pending charges that would exclude you from working with controlled substances
- Application costs $67 and this now includes a fingerprint card
- Expired licenses must be renewed; the renewal fee is $20. The applicant should begin renewal some 4-6 weeks before expiration
Special note 1: The Kansas Board of Pharmacy will only carry out the criminal background check once it has received the fee and application details
Special note 2: Transfers from other states are permissible but the candidate must take and pass the state exam to practice
Special note 3: Interns are not required to follow the above procedures
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates some 4,220 pharmacy technicians in Kansas as of 2019. People working in this role can expect hourly rates of $16.32 as a median average, $16.54 as a mean average, and an average annual salary of $34,390.
The major destination for pharmacy technicians is pharmacies, reportedly employing 51% of technicians across the US. 17% find employment in clinics and hospitals and other direct medical facilities. In some towns and cities, pharmacies operate concessions in food stores and supermarkets. Around 9% of pharmacy technicians work here.
The majority of pharmacies in Kansas operate 24/7. Therefore, pharmacy technicians can expect to work evenings, nights, and weekend shifts. Exceptions include where the technician works in non-dedicated premises like food stores that work to set hours.
BLS employment figures predict a 4% increase in pharmacy technician roles 2019-2029. This is the average of all jobs across the US. This may be higher in areas with a greater number of retirees as older people require more access to pharmaceuticals and healthcare in general.
1801 N Cottonwood St
Iola, KS 66749
245 NE 30 RD
Great Bend, KS 67530
1300 N Plum
Hutchinson, KS 67501
12345 College Blvd
Overland Park, KS 66210
3033 US Hwy 24
Beloit, KS 67420
2205 Wheatland Ave.
Hays, KS 67601
2051 S Meridian Ave
Wichita, KS 67213