Mississippi Pharmacy Tech Schools & Certification
Becoming a pharmacy technician in Mississippi gives you the opportunity to work in the pharmaceutical field without obtaining a formal degree. Pharmacy technicians prepare prescriptions received from doctors' offices or customers. Prescriptions are sometimes sent electronically, written out on prescription notes, or phoned in by the doctor's office. Pharmacy technicians also take inventory, mix compounds, and call doctors' offices to get permission to refill prescriptions.
Mississippi pharmacy technicians work under the supervision of licensed pharmacists. Some of the duties they perform include filling and labeling bottles of medication, providing information regarding medication to patients, and accepting payments from customers. Pharmacy technicians often resolve customer questions and complaints, keep records of the stock, and verify insurance coverage of certain drugs.
Mississippi Pharmacy Technician Certification Requirements
It’s important to understand the licensing requirements and any training required to practice in the state. Here are the important facts needed to become a pharmacy technician in Mississippi.
- Mississippi regulates pharmacy technicians through its Board of Pharmacy
- You do not need certification to become a pharmacy technician. However, you have to obtain certification within one year in order to renew your license.
- There are two certification exams approved in Mississippi, the ICPT (ExCPT) and the PTCB (PTCE).
Pharmacy technician certification exams evaluate your skills and knowledge when it comes to successfully fulfilling this role. Mississippi is one of dozens of states to require a certification exam as part of its licensing process. In order to work legally in the state, you will need to pass at least one of them.
- You have to register with the state within 30 days of starting a new job as a pharmacy technician.
- Mississippi pharmacy technicians require a license.
Requirements to become a pharmacy technician include:
- Applicant must be at least 18 years old.
- Applicant must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Applicants must provide fingerprints for criminal background checks.
- Applicants must fill out an application form and file it with the Mississippi State Board of Pharmacy.
- Upfront fees include an application processing fee of $50 and a $40 charge for the criminal background check. You can pay with a business check or money order.
- You must also include a passport photo with your application.
- Make sure to fill out the questionnaire included with the application. This demonstrates your knowledge of the regulations governing Mississippi pharmacy technicians.
- Notarize the application prior to mailing it.
There is no training required by the state. However, each pharmacy may have its own rules and on-the-job training programs. Mississippi does not require continuing education courses for pharmacy technicians.
All pharmacy technicians in Mississippi must register annually, and the registration period runs from April 1 through March 31. Notify the State Board of Pharmacy within 10 days if you change your address.
Mississippi Pharmacy Technician Careers & Employment Outlook
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, The overall demand for pharmacy technicians will grow by 4% through 2029. This matches the demand for occupations tracked. An increase in prescription medication related to the aging population may increase the demand for pharmacy technicians in the future. On average, U.S. pharmacy technicians make $33,950 per year or $16.32 per hour.
In Mississippi, there are 3,450 pharmacy technicians who earn an average of $32,700 per year. This equates to $15.72 per hour. At the bottom end of the spectrum, the lowest-paid technicians make $23,040 per year and the highest paid technicians make $43,410 per year. About 50% of pharmacy tacticians in Mississippi make around $30,620 a year.
Mississippi Schools That Offer Pharmacy Technician Training Programs
|East Central Community College Leake County||Carthage, MS||(601) 298-0723|
|East Central Community College Neshoba County||Choctaw, MS||(601) 389-0832|
|Mississippi College||Clinton, MS||(601) 925-3000|
|Jones County Junior College||Ellisville, MS||(601) 477-4000|
|Hinds Community College||Raymond, MS||(601) 857-5261|