Oregon Pharmacy Tech Schools & Certification
Oregon offers many opportunities for those looking for entry-level healthcare careers, including many pharmacy technician positions. If you are seeking employment as a pharmacy technician in Oregon, it is mandatory to register in the state. This means fulfilling certain steps - some of which are Federally mandated, and some of which are set by the Oregon Board of Pharmacy over and above Federal regulation. This guide helps the new or prospective pharmacy technician understand what they need to do to work as a pharmacy tech within Oregon.
The list of requirements that you need to adhere to work as a pharmacy technician in Oregon includes the following:
- You must be 18 years or over to work as a pharmacy technician
- All applicants must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent such as a GED. Supporting documentation may be requested as proof
- The applicant is required to have already passed an authorized exam such as the PTCB or NHA
- From 2020, PTCB requires formal workplace training before application
- You must submit to a criminal background check and declare any convictions (such as those involving controlled substances) that might impact your application
- The cost of registration for a pharmacy technician in Oregon is $100. You must also pay an additional $41.25 for national fingerprint checking
- Renewal costs $104. $100 is for the renewal, the other $4 is a survey fee; a delinquent fee (late fee) of $20 applies in addition if submitted after 11:59 pm on May 31
- Licenses expire on the second June 30 following the application date
- Two passport photographs are required with the application
Special note 1: Oregon currently has no reciprocity or transfers from other states.
Special note 2: Oregon will only process the license application once they have received all information along with the payment.
Special note 3: Interns are required to go through most of the above steps and present evidence they are studying for a degree or other authorized program.
The most recent Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) report (2019) found that in Oregon there were 4,900 pharmacy technicians. The average pay rates from that report were revealed at $20.47 per hour as a median average and $20.27 as a mean average. The average annual salary was calculated at $42,160.
Pharmacy technicians will find plenty of employment opportunities in drug stores and pharmacies; these employ 51% of this type of job. 17% are employed in pharmacy departments in medical facilities such as clinics and hospitals. 9% are employed in grocery stores, health food stores, and other non-medical retail outlets, typically as concessionary booths.
Pharmacies will usually operate around the clock; pharmacy technicians can therefore expect to work various shifts including nights, weekends, and some holidays. The same is true of hospital pharmacies. When located in retail stores, operating hours will adhere to the shop's needs.
There is a projected 4% demand for pharmacy technicians in the decade 2019-2029, according to BLS. This is the current average of all jobs.
2411 NW Carden Ave
Pendleton, OR 97801
2004 Lloyd Center
Portland, OR 97232
2600 NW College Way
Bend, OR 97703
4000 Lancaster Dr NE
Salem, OR 97305
4000 East 30th Ave.
Eugene, OR 97405
6500 Pacific Blvd. SW
Albany, OR 97321
1626 SE Water Ave
Portland, OR 97214
3345 Redwood Hwy
Grants Pass, OR 97527
1988 Newmark Ave
Coos Bay, OR 97420